Your AC is one of the most important appliances in your home – especially if you live in a hot climate. Keeping it running smoothly is vital to your comfort, and can save you money on your energy bills. However, AC repair and AC service can be expensive, so it’s worth considering doing it yourself. This article will provide some tips on how to do AC service on your own:
10 Tips to Do AC service on your own
1) The air filter is the most important part of your AC system and should be checked regularly. A clogged or dirty air filter will restrict airflow and cause your AC to work harder, leading to higher energy bills and reduced efficiency. You should check your air filter at least once a month, and replace it as needed.
2) The evaporator coils are responsible for removing heat from the air inside your home. If they become dirty or damaged, they will not be able to properly remove heat, causing your AC unit to work harder and resulting in higher energy bills. You should clean the coils every six months or so using a brush or vacuum attachment; if they seem damaged, you may need to replace them entirely.
3) The condenser coils are responsible for releasing heat outside of your home; if they become dirty or damaged, they will not be able to release heat properly and could cause overheating issues inside your home as well as decreased efficiency overall. Cleaning the coils every six months with a brush or vacuum attachment should suffice; if they appear damaged beyond repair then replacements will be necessary
4) In addition to regularly checking and replacing the air filter, it is also important to keep the AC unit itself clean.
5) Clean the exterior of the AC unit with a hose at least once a year to remove any dirt, debris, or leaves that may have accumulated.
6) Trim any foliage around the unit so that it has at least two feet of clearance on all sides.
7) Inspect the ductwork for leaks or holes, and seal any leaks with duct tape or other appropriate materials.
8) Regularly check the AC’s coolant levels and replenish as necessary. This will help ensure optimal performance and prevent costly repairs down the line.
9) If you notice strange noises coming from your AC unit, don’t ignore them! These could be signs of serious issues that need to be addressed by a professional.
10) And finally, always consult a professional if you are unsure about anything related to your AC unit. They can provide expert advice and guidance so that you can keep your unit running smoothly for years to come
As you can see, there are a few things that you can do in order to service your AC unit on your own. By following these tips, you can save yourself money on expensive repairs and keep your unit running smoothly for years to come. However, if you are ever unsure about anything related to your AC unit, always consult a professional for expert advice.